[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant personal_album_id - assumed 'personal_album_id' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant gu - assumed 'gu' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 969: Use of undefined constant user_images - assumed 'user_images' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP)
Speed Dreams Community • View topic - How to make a robot drive a car

How to make a robot drive a car

Use this forum to report bugs or ask for help

Moderator: kilo

How to make a robot drive a car

Postby chad3006 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm

I'm not talking about creating a robot from scratch, I just need to know how to make an existing robot (I don't care which) drive a car that doesn't have a robot already. Don't assume I know "anything." Can someone list the steps please?

I know there is a post about it here somewhere about creating the "crazy eddie" car, but I still never could figure it out.
chad3006

Re: How to make a robot drive a car

Postby Leopjing » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:31 pm

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Take a look into the robots folder maybe its helpfull or not ;D.
I dont know where i found it :/

Maybe someone can post those links again?
Leopjing

Postby chad3006 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:43 pm

OK, downloaded all that and I'll take a look when I get home. Hopefully I'll figure something out.
chad3006

Postby mras » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:38 pm

Here's how I've done it (using those great cars that you've created too). Take the simplex robot for example. Open the simplex XML file (in data/drivers/simplix) with a text editor. You'll see the default cars in a list, each "section" with a number (starts with "section name" and ends with "/section".

Easiest thing to do would be to copy the last "section" and paste it at the end of the XML file. Then, change the number to the "section name" (add 1 to it). Change the "name" (make something up for your "driver". Adjust the "short name" accordingly. Adjust the "code name" accordingly as well (this is the 3 character abbreviation that appears in the side scrolling ribbon of race standings).

Now, here's where you add the car. Adjust the "desc" to match the car that you want to add. And, adjust the race number, just give a number.

Here's an example using the TA50-deckard-conejo67:

<section name="98">
<attstr name="name" val="Mark Donashoe"></attstr>
<attstr name="short name" val="M. Donashoe"></attstr>
<attstr name="code name" val="DON"></attstr>
<attstr name="desc" val="simplix: car1"></attstr>
<attstr name="team" val="simplix"></attstr>
<attstr name="author" val="Wolf-Dieter Beelitz"></attstr>
<attstr name="car name" val="TA50-deckard-conejo67">
</attstr>
<attnum name="race number" val="16"></attnum>
<attnum name="red" val="1.0"></attnum>
<attnum name="green" val="0.3"></attnum>
<attnum name="blue" val="0.3"></attnum>
</section>

Then, in the robot directory, in this case, simpiix, add two folders. One with the "number" of the section name (so, if you had 12 cars when you started, and added a 13th car, you would have a folder named "13". Add another folder with the name of the car that you have added, in the example above TA50-deckard-conejo67

Save the file, replace your existing simplix XML file.

Then I've copied the "default" file from one of the existing car directories in the robot directory, put i into the car directory that I just created. And the copy the wheel, preview, "paint", and shadow files into the "number" directory that you just created from the corresponding car directory in data/cars/models.

It works for me. If you'd like, I can send you a copy of my edited simplix XML to take a look at. It appears that there is a limit on the simplix robot of 100 "drivers" or cars. I've noticed a limit on other bots to 20 or less.

Hope this helps.
mras

Postby chad3006 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:14 pm

OK, thanks mras. I'll give that a try and see what happens.
chad3006

Postby chad3006 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:28 pm

mras, I did as you suggested (using the same Deckard conejo too). The car lists now under Simplix, however, it doesn't seem to be selectable and the preview pic doesn't show (I did copy it to the folder). Do you know what I might have missed?
chad3006

Postby mras » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 am

Let me see if I understand what you're seeing. So, on the "left", where you can select drivers, you actually see "Mark Donashoe" or whatever you named the driver showing up, and it shows up under the TA5.0 category, and simplix as the driver? But you are unable to "move it to the right" with the + button?

If that is the case, are you in "Practice" mode AND do you already have a car listed on the "right" side? If so, remove the car from the "right" side, then try again (you can only have one car in Practice mode. Or, just try adding in quick race mode.

As for the preview, once you've added it to the "right" panel, choose Garage, and select the preview.

Let me know if I'm not understanding what you are seeing.

Mark
mras

Postby chad3006 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:40 pm

I was in Quick Race mode. On the left side, sorting by simplix drivers, it shows the TA50 category, but no car or driver is listed there. I guess that is more clear. And yes, I used Mark Donashoe, just like you did.

I gave everything a quick second look and didn't see anything obviously wrong, but I haven't had time to really scrutinize it yet.
chad3006

Postby chad3006 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:28 pm

OK, I got the conejo 67 working. I don't really know what I did differently this time, but who knows. Anyway, it's working now, thanks.
chad3006

Postby chad3006 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Another issue I'm now having with making simplix drive a car. I can get it to drive 1 car at a time. Anytime I add another car to the XML list in simplix, both stop working. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong there?
chad3006

Next

Return to Problems, Fixes & Help